Monday, July 9, 2012

Everything Old Hollywood


    Greeting to you all readers for my first post. My section called "everything old Hollywood".I have to confess that the reason I chose this topic is because, I am a girl who absolutely obsessed with all things Old Hollywood. There. I said it..... 

Normally, people my age don't really get me when i told them about this. Some of them told me that i need to see more modern entertainments. They said old Hollywood stuffs are for older people, only their grandparent or their parent will like it. 
In fact, IT IS NOT! (I'm not screaming).   Everybody in every age can appreciate great art if they don't judge it first. Here, let me be your guide to introduce you to the wonderful, marvelous, vintage, and classic, Old Hollywood!




The first thing that got my interest in old Hollywood is a black and white movie called, 
Now, Voyager (1942).The leading star of this film is Bette Davis, who is the reason that made me fall in love with this film. I've saw this film when I was in grade 10. My teacher showed this movie in my film club and i was blown away by Bette's performance.

Now, Voyager

Bette Davis

This movie is based on the famous novel by Olive Higgins Prouty and directed by Irving Rapper. Starring Bette Davis as Charlotte Vale, Paul Henreid as Jerry Durrance, Claude Rains as Dr. Jaquith, and Gladys Cooper as Mrs. Henry Windle Vale. 





      The story begins with a women name Charlotte Vale, who is unattractive, overweight and depress all the time. Her life is dominated by her strictly mother, Mrs. Henry Windle Vale, which is the one that always abuse her with words that she can not be a complete woman with her lack of confidence.



       With help from her sister-in-law, who's afraid that Charlotte will break down some day, introduces her to Dr. Jaquith, who helps her change her life and transform to a beautiful perfect woman. On the way to return home from the treatment with Dr. Jaquith, Charlotte takes the holiday on the cruise and meets a married manJerry Durrance. Charlotte and Jerry become closer and have fallen in love, but they decide they should not see each other anymore for the sake of everyone around them. 

       When Charlotte arrives home, her family is shocked and stunned by her new look. Her mother wants to control her again, but this time Charlotte doesn't do what her mother wants and remains herself. Later, Charlotte gets engaged to a rich widower, but by chance she meets Jerry again. She cancels the engagement and it makes her mother so angry that she has a heart attack. After her mother dies, Charlotte return to the treatment center again. At the treatment center Charlotte meets a girl who reminds her of herself, Tina. So,she asks Dr. Jaquith to help this girl. When the girl is better, Charlotte takes the girl home with her. Jerry and Dr. Jaquith come to visit Charlotte at home. Jerry is happy to see his daughter (Tina) becomes better. Finally, they understand each other and decide to spend time together for his daughter and their love. The End.

This film has given Bette the most memorable role. I think her performance in this movie is so amazing. In the scene where Charlotte has transformed, Bette can makes you think that she really feels like for the first time that she is beautiful. Oh I love this woman! She also did a great job when she was a depressed Charlotte. I really believe and feel pity for Charlotte's life with her mother.

Here is the trailer of this movie, Now,Voyager.



I hope you guys like this and give it a try some time. Remember, never judge things before you try it.

Until next time, my friends. ;)




13 comments:

  1. well...I've never watched any black & white film before; this is a very very interesting film and there are so many Hollywood kissing scenes in one film ><....thanks for sharing a good old film. This is in my list now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Awww, Thanks a lot. I really like your review too. You choose a nice and interesting movie to review, I really love it. Keep up with that!

      Delete
  2. There are some really good black and white films out there but i have never seen this one.

    This is a very interesting topic and I look forward to seeing more posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your compliment. There are more to come :)

      Delete
  3. OMG!!!

    I like this post very much!!! I am a old-film fan as well.
    You did a classic post and I really like it.
    also looking forward to see the next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it and thanks a million for your compliment.

      Delete
  4. "never judge things before you try it." I totally agree with that!
    Though I'm not an old-film fan, I'll try it. Keep it up girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Oh, you mean classy, beautiful, and glamorous. Thank you, sweetheart. *wink*

      Delete
  6. I have watched "The artist" for my first B&W movie and i am
    enchanted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I have a quick question, where did you find that Hollywood picture? I'd LOVE to use it for a poster but can't find it.
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete